Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Greatest Teachers

On the left is my grandfather, John Henry Edelhauser. He is playing my first guitar, an Old Craftsman, given to me by Roy Free. The gentleman on the right is Russell Davis. Russell taught me to play the ukelele, which was the first instrument I ever learned. My grandfather's lap steel can be seen lying in the old recliner. These two men taught me in the beginning.

My friend Gary Moreland of the Bois d'Arc Bottom Band wrote a song about my grandfather. I would like to share it with you...


HE'S TEACHING THE ANGELS TO PLAY
by Gary Moreland


Sometimes our memories bring a smile to our face
Whenever we choose to look back
One I remember was my first old guitar
I bought putting groceries in a sack
And another was that kind old man I knew
Who somehow came to be
Someone who taught me a song or two
And left so much more with me
His music still lives thru one of his own
Whom I'm sure he is proud of today
As he looks down from heaven with a smile on his face
From where he's teaching the Angels to play
He's teaching the Angels to play
They're all gathered round him today
In his old overalls and a smile on his face
He's teaching the Angels to play
In his circle of friends I hope to be
When all of the Angels gather to see
That grand music show in our home far away
All of those people Mr. John taught to play


For my friend Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment