Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jeff Newman

Original post: 10/31/05 Yahoo 360

My first formal training in playing the pedal steel guitar came from the World's Greatest Steel Guitar Instructor, Jeff Newman. Jeff was not only the best instructor around, he was one of the greatest players in the world. I first attended one of his weekend seminars in Dallas, somewhere around 1978. I later went on to study E9th steel guitar at his school, Jeffran College, in Hermitage Tennessee. (That's a trip to Nashville I didn't want to return from!) In the early 1980's, Jeff invited Buddy Emmons (Worlds Foremost Steel Guitarist) to teach at his school. Needless to say, I was in two of Buddy's classes at Jeffran College also. Some of the other students in my classes at Jeffran included Tim Lusby (Darrel Singletary), Steve Palousek (Ray Price, Gene Watson, etc.), John Fabian (Carter Steel Guitars) and Jeff Pederson (Clint Black).
Jeff Newman was killed in the crash of his ultra-light aircraft on April 7, 2004. He had other airplanes too and we would often talk about flying when we visited at steel guitar conventions every year. This picture shows Jeff Pederson on the left and Jeff Newman in the middle.
I miss Jeff...

No comments:

Post a Comment