Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Music Lessons - Cowboy Crossing Youth Band - Hugo Oklahoma

On July 6 of 2015 I was contacted by Doris and Mike Merritt of Cowboy Crossing Church in Hugo Oklahoma.  The reason for their contact was to ask me about teaching a group of teenagers (ages 13-16) to play various instruments in hopes of forming a youth band for their church.
So on July 14 I began a weekly trek to Hugo to teach my first full classroom of teens! During the following weeks the students went from knowing pretty much nothing about their respective instrument to gaining a knowledge of their instrument, how to tune their instrument, and learning how to chord and strum their instrument. By the way, the instruments and musicians are:
  • C.J. Hughes – bass guitar
  • Joseph Nelson – 5-string banjo
  • Ty LeBlanc – rhythm guitar
  • Lily LeBlanc – dobro guitar
As their teacher, I am SO proud of these teens for what they’ve accomplished in just eight weeks!  On September 2 all of the students assembled at Cowboy Crossing to play their first concert together. I had been eagerly anticipating the day when they could all come together and play a couple of songs as a band. When Debbie and I arrived, we found that they were as ready as I was! I didn’t even have to ask them to tune their instruments…they were ready to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment