Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Stringbender Music Studio

As my retirement date approaches, I have pretty much finished the work on my music studio.  This is where I plan on giving lessons for guitar, bass, dobro, banjo and pedal steel guitar.  Thanks to my son, Kevin,  the room is insulated very well and will maintain a comfortable temperature in both the winter and summer.  Here's a photo of the interior.

 
The room is equipped with instruments, amplifiers, chairs/stools, tablature, computerized rhythm tracks and accessories such as cords, music stands, picks, tuners, etc, etc.  Another important item for any teacher is the dry-erase white board!  One wall is complete with this amenity as shown below.


What is that above the whiteboards you ask?  Well, being an old school engineer, I worked my way through a college degree using a slide rule for quick calculations.  As my teacher, Bennie Tschoerner, used to say, "A slide rule is highly reliable. It doesn't need batteries; it doesn't break if you drop it and it's faster than an electronic calculator." (And don't make any irrational bets about this with Tschoerner!) I've seen him win the bet with several calculator wielding freshmen!  Now I won't be using this slide rule in music classes, but it might be helpful in explaining the ratio between semitones in the twelve note scale of western music!

No comments:

Post a Comment